Sophomore athletes receive Division 1 Offers

Tommy Yarrish, Sports Editor

With the second varsity season on the horizon, two of the football program’s best players have already received Division I offers. Wide receiver Dylan Goffney and defensive back Bryce McMorris are the first in program history.  

On March 25, Goffney announced his offer from the University of Arkansas on Twitter, with an outpour of support from coaches, teammates, Razorback-faithful, and industry professionals. From playing football since he was a little kid, all the hard work is starting to pay off. Since then, University of Arizona, Boston College, Duke, and SMU extended offers to Goffney.

”Knowing this is one of your dreams to a scholarship offer from a big time university like Arkansas, it just felt great.” Goffney described.

Not too long after, McMorris reeled in an offer from Southern Methodist University (SMU) on April 5th. He received an equally enthusiastic response from the community, and showed that there are many more offers to come for the young program.

“Getting your first offer, there’s not a better feeling,” McMorris said. “It opens more doors for you, for more college coaches to see you, and for you to get your name out there.”

Head coach David Raffield is excited for both his players, and hopes that these opportunities motivate them to work harder, putting emphasis on the term “master your craft” for both of them. But it’s not about the offers, it’s how good of players they are, and can be.

“It’s not about how many offers you get, it’s how good of a football player can you become,” Raffield said, “and can you find a school that fits you.”

Since the two aren’t legally allowed to receive official offers, phone calls were made through trainers, like Justin Allen, who founded All-En Sports, a training facility for athletes in Houston. He trains the likes of other Bridgeland athletes like as running back Gavan Kaspar and tight end Dylan Crippen.

In Goffney’s case, the process began when Allen got the call from one of Arkansas’ wide receiver coaches, Kelvin Bolden, and merged the call with Goffney so that he could hear all his work had finally paid off. Later on, Goffney ventured to Fayetteville with family and friends to watch the Razorbacks practice. There, he met Justin Stepp, another wide receiver coach, and was even able to try on a uniform.

One simple question from Bolden, followed by a simple answer from Goffney, was all it took to seal the deal.

“[Bolden] was like ‘You’re a ballplayer right?’ and I was like ‘Yes sir.’” Goffney said. “[Bolden] said ‘We’re gonna go ahead and offer you a scholarship.’”