Varsity football cruises past Waltrip 70-17 for first victory of season

Tommy Yarrish, Multimedia and Communications Editor

The Bears secured their first victory of the season Thursday night after a blowout victory over the Waltrip Rams, 70-17.

Bridgeland’s offense was on fire all night long, especially junior wide receiver Dylan Goffney, who had four receptions for 215 yards and 4 touchdowns, three of them coming in the first quarter alone.

On the ground, the Bears showed they can pound the ball into the endzone. The running back duo of sophomore Mason Culton and junior Jerrell McWilliams (three TD’s combined) proved that it would take more than one defender to take them down.

At the quarterback position, Bridgeland decided to rotate the ball around, with it being in last year’s starter, junior Finn Nicholson’s hands on one drive, and sophomore Conner Weigman’s on another. Both showed they could get the ball down the field quickly and efficiently, with the duo combining for 416 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Defensively, the Rams couldn’t get much going, as players like junior Conner Motsinger (5 tackles) were all over the run and passing game. The loss of senior all-district wide receiver Orvis Fowler to an injury wasn’t great news for the Rams either.

Nevertheless, senior quarterback Jonah Brooks aired out two touchdowns on the night, to seniors Daelon Lewis and Christopher Williams respectively, and didn’t throw any interceptions. Not an awful night offensively, but Bridgeland did get the best of the Rams Thursday night.

With the first week in the books, Bridgeland will play Stratford at 6:00 P.M. September 7 at Cy-Fair FCU Stadium, and Waltrip moves on to play Kingwood Park at 7:00 P.M. on September 5 at Kingwood Park High School.