Varsity football rectifies last year’s loss against Stratford with 54-7 win

Tommy Yarrish, Multimedia and Communications Editor

Ah, the sweet taste of revenge.

Varsity got theirs against Stratford Saturday night as they defeated the Spartans 54-7 after losing the second game of the season to the Spartans last year.

Braden Murray
Sophomore running back Mason Culton scores a touchdown in the win over Stratford

Coming off a 70-point performance in the previous week’s game against Waltrip, it’s safe to say that the offense stayed hot. Quarterbacks sophomore Conner Weigman and junior Finn Nicholson combined for 378 yards and four touchdowns. Running backs junior Jerell McWilliams and sophomore Mason Culton also stepped up for the Bears, adding 135 yards and three touchdowns on the ground. Wide receivers junior Dylan Goffney, junior Atrevion Hunter, and sophomore Andrew Maleski all had one receiving touchdown respectively. On the flip side, defensive backs junior Bryce McMorris and junior Kamren Amao held down the secondary, as McMorris had an interception and Amao had a forced fumble.

Lilly Kosh
Junior Kameron Amao strips the ball from the defender.

Stratford simply couldn’t generate the same offensive presence they did last year when they defeated the Bears 41-28, and only had one touchdown off an 89-yard toss and run from quarterback Dylan Shoemake to wide receiver Joey Cobb. Defensive back Charlie O’Block lead the team in tackles with 10, and the Spartan defense collectively had four tackles-for-loss augmenting to 20 yards.

With week two in the books, district schedules are upon us. Stratford will move on to face Spring Woods at Spring Woods High School on September 13 at 7:00 p.m., and varsity will play again at Cy-Fair FCU Stadium to take on Cy Springs on September 13 at 7:00 p.m.