Soccer players getting noticed by recruiters

Cameron Armer, Reporter

Over the summer and during the school year, colleges scouted athletes for their respective sport, as they were playing in high-level tournaments or were privileged enough to receive an email after messaging their chosen colleges.

Two athletes, two different approaches. Both accepted by colleges. Varsity soccer player, sophomore Rebecca Grady approached Colorado School of Mines during the school year. When emailing a college there would obviously be many types of emotions that were flowing through her system, 

“It was very nerve racking but very exciting at the same time,” Grady said. 

Rebecca relied on her loved ones when taking this opportunity.

“I was with my mom because she has always supported me whilst playing soccer,” she said.

Many people go to a certain college because of family connections, but Rebecca didn’t decide to go this route, even though 59% of students attend a college because of a family connection.

“There was no family connections, I want to go to Colorado School of Mines because it is the best engineering school in the United States,” Grady said.

To get into any college, athletes must make connections throughout high school according to Grady.

There are many places that athletes can be seen by scouts. For senior Santiago Guerro, varsity soccer player, this meant on a soccer field in California.

“I was scouted at a tournament for soccer in San Diego by San-Diego State,” he said.

Scouts look for many different aspects in a player, but for Guerro, it felt like it was one game in particular.

“One game – that was a good performance,” Guerro said. “I felt was when I scored three goals and got roughly around five assists.”

Athletes who have been noticed by scouts can give the best advice.In fact 

many colleges support the idea of an athlete reaching out to them. According to Guerro, this shows interest from the athlete. He advises reaching out to colleges to inform them of when and where an athlete is playing.

“It shows you want to attend that college,” he said, “and don’t be afraid to go to a school that your family isn’t connected to.”