Cy-Fair ISD approves modified school year plan, addresses other issues in special board meeting

Tommy Yarrish, Multimedia and Communications Editor

The Cy-Fair ISD Board of Trustees held a special meeting on Tuesday regarding the school calendar and safety measures that would be taken regarding a return to school amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The district approved a modification to the 2020-2021 school year calendar, pushing the first day of school to September 8, and the final day of school to June 3. These plans were approved at this meeting, but as emphasized by Chief of Staff Teresa Hull, “are not all final.”

Students will have the option to either return to in-class instruction or at-home learning via CFISD Connect, and parents and students must make their decisions by August 5. However, students will have until August 25 to finalize their choice in the event that a change is necessary and students will again have the opportunity to change where they will receive instruction at the end of each grading period. 

The district also approved a 3.75 million dollar purchase towards plexiglass desk and tabletop dividers to further try and prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the classroom. Students and staff will be required to wear masks should they decide to return to campus, and social distancing will be enforced in the halls, school buses, cafeterias, amongst other places. 

Dr. Henry and all of the board members made it clear that student and staff safety is the most important factor in all of this, and Ms. Hull brought up the creation of a reopening committee which was created in April to plan accordingly for the following school year with COVID-19 expected. Members on this committee include superintendent Dr. Mark Henry, board president Bob Covey, as well as teachers, students, and parents. The committee produced the PowerPoint presentation Ms. Hull showed during the board meeting. 

In response to the general concerns and doubt going forward into the school year, Dr. Henry and his team have a mission to uphold the safety, health, and security of all students and staff regardless of in-person or remote learning environments.

“You have to be patient. You have to be patient with our federal, state, and our local officials… because we are all dealing with something we’ve never dealt with before,” Dr. Henry said. “And we are going to keep our students and our staff as safe as possible.”

For more in-depth details on what the district discussed in the special school board meeting, read the Twitter thread below: