After loss of homecoming dance, students celebrate ‘NOCO”

Taking precaution because of the Coronavirus outbreak, there have been many sacrifices made by the school district to ensure student and staff safety. Some of these new restrictions, especially the loss of the homecoming dance, evoke strong feelings from a number of the community.
“This year has been way different than I think all of us [freshmen] were expecting,” freshman Emersyn Pollard said. “We didn’t have an eighth grade formal either so losing HOCO was pretty disappointing.”
The freshmen class has had an unfortunate transition from middle to high school. The students face both mental and academic strain as a result of recent changes, including the difficult learning experience through virtual classrooms and change in curriculum. Especially including athletes who will not be participating in alternatives to avoid exposure.
“A lot of the seniors from last year complained about losing their prom and stuff, but we have nothing,” senior Kailey Hatter said. “I know prom isn’t off the table, but I was really looking forward to homecoming.”
The loss of the homecoming dance has also affected seniors. Senior year is known for many traditions and celebrations, but this year many have been canceled or are at risk for later cancelation. With the aftermath of corona and life slowly getting back to normal, how can we continue this tradition, while still being safe and mindful.
“I think next year it’ll force people to go even more all out because we’ll be upperclassmen and we didn’t have a hoco this year,” sophomore Charis Yiow said. “This year I will not be participating in the mum and garter exchange, because I think it’s pointless.”
Current underclassmen have voiced less concern for the loss of this year’s dance, seeing as how they have more future opportunities. Because of this, less students are interested in the traditional mum and garter exchange and plan to go big next year in order to compensate for the absence this year. However, this is not the case for all students, some are finding creative ways to incorporate popular traditions while following COVID-19 safety requirements.
“Since it’s pretty close to Halloween, I plan to get together with a group of friends,” senior Alexandra Colates said. ”We haven’t decided if we want to stay in and make treats and watch scary movies, or venture out to a haunted house.”
Students have decided to combat the cancellation of this year’s homecoming dance with creative alternatives. This year has proven to be quite convenient for doing so, considering homecoming week is the week of Halloween. The possibilities for conducting a fun and safe celebration are endless.
“I think the most important thing is remembering this will all be over, and one day we’ll be able to return not only to our annual festivities, but our daily lives,” Colates said, “ The bad days only make us more appreciative of the good.”