Lift Every Voice: Poetry jam for Black History Month

In celebration of Black History and Culture, the Lift Every Voice: Poetic Celebration of Black History & Culture will be held February 10 and 17.
The Lift Every Voice: Poetic Celebration of Black History will be recorded by the Audio-Visual Team, and the Step Team is scheduled to make a four-minute performance. In accordance with COVID-19 guidelines each participant will be able to invite two people, and 25 students will be in the audience.
“I combined my passion for poetry with a desire to celebrate Black History Month,” College Readiness Teacher April Young said. “Combining those two things together gave me this idea.”
Miss Young loves poetry, Miss Young has a desire to celebrate Black History Month on campus, which led to the creation of the Lift Every Voice: Poetic Celebration of Black History Month. Miss Young emphasizes that Poetry Jam isn’t a competition but a celebration of Black history and Black culture. There are 15 students signed up and the event will be held during advisory. Participants can either do an original piece or a published work by a famous Black poet, that is no longer than three minutes in length.
“We really have a great program lined up even though it’s only 30 minutes,” Young said. “We’re gonna make the most of their time and have a real celebration.”
An appearance by the Step Team is also planned, and they will be performing and giving background on the creation of Step. Counselor Tranchelle Thomas will be performing “Lift Every Voice and Sing”, which is the Black National Anthem. Miss Young’s overall goal is for students, and staff to walk away with a real appreciation of Black culture and history. She envisions the Bridgeland campus and community to be a place where everyone is welcomed.
“I don’t want African American students to feel like they don’t belong here, [or] they don’t fit in,” Young said. “I want it to be a place where everyone is welcome and everyone can be celebrated.”
Sophomore Saratha Thiam understands the importance of Black History Month, and that importance is what drove her to participate. She sees the Lift Every Voice: Poetic Celebration of Black History and Culture as another step in opening up Black history to the school. Thiam will be performing ‘Not your average black girl’ at the event.
“I like how it’s very diverse, it has many different people,” Thiam said, “Part of it is still like a community of tight-knit people,”
Freshman Kalynn Hall’s drive for participating was talking about Black history and culture. Hall plans on performing a work-related to African-American hair and the history behind it. Hall’s love of Black history and culture stems from the uniqueness of it.
“The variations …. clothing,” Hall said, “there are so many things that can come from that.”
Sophomore Noah Blackshear has a lot to say about Black History Month. Blackshear will be performing his own speech at the Lift Every Voice: Poetic Celebration of Black History and Culture. Blackshear will be performing in a group, with Juniors Terrance Cullivan and Nathan Earl Jr.
“I want students, staff, everyone to walk away with a real appreciation of the Black experience, Black culture, and Black history,” Miss Young said.

Edit: Due to inclement weather on Feb. 17, the Poetry Jam was rescheduled for the following Thursday, Feb. 25.

Edit: Due to limited audience capacity at the time of the initial poetry jam presentations, a QR code has since been posted around the school for those who wish to watch the event.