The Student News Site of Bridgeland High School

The Bridge

The Bridge

The Bridge

New Season: New Wardrobe

Must haves for back to school: Fall Edition

Times are constantly evolving, and so is the fashion world. As leaves slowly start to turn marvelous shades of brown and the fresh breeze of fall blows through our hair, autumn presents us with endless opportunities to put on head-turning outfits.

School is something everyone inevitably has to experience, and though it can be challenging to manage having a practical yet stylish outfit, it’s not impossible. The fall aesthetic has a variety of options to choose from, making it all the more easier to attend classes with not only a sophisticated attire, but also a well put together array of jewelry.

Well, where to start? It may seem controversial to some, but mixed metals is where it’s at! According to teenvogue, mixed metals spice up any boring outfit and doesn’t clash with one’s skin tone. Oftentimes, there is conflict on whether silver or gold jewelry suits a person, but with mixed metals there is no long shot! One can pair silver and gold hoop earrings, then layer it with a chunky gold necklace and a dainty silver choker. Additionally, mixing and matching rings makes it all the more fun! It can range from bold silver rings to delicate gold ones for contrast.

Additionally, it is almost a crime to neglect the knit, drop-shoulder crop sweater! Don’t worry, to make it school appropriate but still chic, one can pair these with any basic tank top, layering the sweater to create a contemporary top half that can be worn with baggy jeans and a cute headband. This outfit can be worn monotone, or it can be mixed and matched with both dull and bold colors. There are endless possibilities with the knit, drop-shoulder crop sweater, but most importantly, it totally matches the fall vibe!

Another must-have for fall is a statement jacket. These types of jackets can vary from vivid colors to leather, but they sure make any outfit look stunning. Try investing in these by thrifting or going to a local clothing boutique; that’s where one finds the good stuff. Even by wearing an all black halter top or a plain shirt, a statement jacket paired with the right jewelry and accessories is bound to make heads turn! It can be tricky to find “the one,” but once it’s found, turning back is never an option. Some examples of statement jackets can be distressed and patched denim, brown, black, or tan leather or a shiny, sequin material. Anything that looks like it would catch an eye.

Baggy jeans and a long jacket. There, I said it. I’ve revealed the secret to fall! Run to your nearest store to buy a pair of high-waisted baggy jeans. Bonus points if they are distressed or have patchwork on them. Pairing these bottoms with a plain turtleneck or a fall inspired sweatshirt alone is a killer, but layering an ankle length coat, whether leather or cotton, can elevate any outfit to look chic and sophisticated. Not only does this match the fall vibes perfectly, but it also makes one look like they know what they’re doing.

A non-negotiable is dashing, square-shaped sunglasses. Even while wearing a basic outfit, these sunglasses bring attention to the face. Wearing these with chunky gold hoops is an absolute eye-catcher, and sets up the perfect aesthetic for that “clean-girl” look. It can be paired with a smokey eye look or even a sun-kissed makeup look. There are a million possibilities.

Lastly, I have to mention the sweater vest. I know, it’s an oldie but a goodie. These sweater vests look smart on anyone and can be paired with the most boring bottoms and still look adorable. It is the perfect mixture of casual and formal, tying right into the back to school and fall season! The choice is both perfectly in dress code and perfectly stylish. These can vary from plain, patterned and fuzzy.

There it is! The perfect guide for fun and practical outfits during fall. These pieces can be mixed and matched perfectly with bottoms and accessories, and are also school friendly. Attending school can be a bore sometimes, but hey, might as well be bored in a cute outfit!