Dr. Braun named Teacher of the Year

Dr. Elizabeth Braun was awarded the Teacher of the Year, during second period announcements, Friday January 12. The administration team chose her because of her passion for the students.

Mr. Juan Guevara

Principal Mike Smith surprises Dr. Elizabeth Braun in her classroom Jan. 12.

“This is my second year.” Dr. Elizabeth Braun, the Teacher of the Year, said about her teaching experience.

Dr. Braun was awarded the Teacher of the Year, during second period announcements, Friday January 12. The administration team chose her because of her passion for the students.

“I hope that they learn more than just the academic studies. I want them to learn how to be good students. I want them to learn how to be good people,” Dr. Braun said. “It’s more than just what we can get out of the curriculum. How can you take it and apply it to your life. How can you be a better problem solver, a better critical thinker. And help be, ultimately, a better contributing member of the society.”

Sophomore Jonathan Ware, one of Dr. Braun’s students, learns a great amount of information each and every day in her classroom.

“She’s super over-qualified,” Ware said. “She’s really good with each and every student, and treats everybody really well, and teaches really well, too.”

Dr. Braun’s daily quality lessons commitment to student learning within her classroom through every challenged played a major role in the decision to name her Teacher of the Year.

“I think it’s her passion for kids, and if students aren’t learning in her classroom, she takes it as her responsibility to figure out why, and fix it,” Principal Michael Smith said. “And just that passion about student learning, and helping kids, and making sure that they’re growing and learning, and being successful. I think if you have that, then the rest comes. If you care about your student learning you’ll figure out how to use the pod, you’ll figure out how to use engaging activities, you’re going to figure out what it takes for kids to be successful.”

Dr. Braun’s teaching role model is her mother-in-law, who was a teacher in CFISD before she recently retired. She attributes much of her success to the conversations the two have had.

“A lot of what I did when I first started, I did because she and I had a conversation about how I could handle my classroom management, and things like that,” Dr. Braun said. “And as a first year teacher last year, and even this year still, whenever things come up that I just need a sounding board, someone to talk about, she’s always the person that I tend to go to.”

Her skill in the classroom is evident, according to Michelle Provo, Director of Instruction, in how she reaches every student regardless of where they are in the learning process.

“If you’re a high achieving student, if you struggle a little bit academically, she can reach you either way,” Mrs. Provo said. “And that’s what makes a difference, and that makes a true teacher. And you can tell she loves what she does”